One of the most controversial subjects in healthcare right now and Canada’s fight against coronavirus is face masks.
We don’t have enough personal protective equipment (PPE). There, it’s said. Plain and simple.
Face masks and face shields are in high demand, not only from front-line workers and those in healthcare categories either. Everyday Canadians want face masks and unfortunately, they’re not accessible to most.
Further complicating things, countries who have imposed mandatory face masks have seen significantly better control over the spread of COVID-19.
Throughout the past month, public health official Theresa Tam and others have given contradictory information at times and/or have gone against the recommendations of other countries and territories who have been successful at controlling coronavirus.
Who Needs to Wear A Face Mask?
- If you are a healthcare worker or working in a hospital or similar setting, you should be wearing a face mask or a safety face shield.
- If you are a front-line worker, such as a grocery store clerk, and you’re working frequently around people, you may want to consider wearing a face mask.
- If you are in close quarters with others where social distancing cannot be maintained, including public transportation, a face mask is your best preventative.
The most effective protection against COVID-19 is to use social distancing. That is, remain a minimum two feet away from others. A face mask takes things to the next level. If you’re in an environment where you are around other people and social distancing cannot be adequately done, wear a face mask.
Who Doesn’t Need to Wear A Face Mask?
- If you are in isolation at home with others who are not sick or infected with COVID-19, you do not need to wear a face mask.
- If all you’re doing right now is going to the grocery store, pharmacy and/or going out for walks to get some occasional exercise, you do not need to wear a face mask.
The average person does not need to wear a face mask. It can give you some peace of mind, however, it’s not going to do anything to stop you from catching coronavirus.
That said, it can prevent asymptomatic individuals who are infected from passing on the virus to others, assuming the mask covers the whole of your mouth and nose.
Are you looking to buy a face mask in Canada? Living.ca has face masks and face shields available, with free shipping countrywide. Whether you’re working in healthcare or simply want the peace of mind, you won’t regret making the investment. Visit Living.ca today for all your COVID-19 essentials.
Featured photo by Martin Sanchez on Unsplash